Monday, December 21, 2015

Primary, clutch, chains

The primary had water contaminated oil giving it a milky appearance. The big clutch race had rust pitting. It was repacked with grease. Overall the clutch was in quite good condition.
The cush drive was worn a bit requiring a spacer to correct primary chain alignment. The primary outer has a chrome snap-fit plug to facilitate greasing the cush drive parts via a grease nipple. I used an o-ring on the chrome plug. I massaged out a number of dents from the cover.
All the primary cover screws received fresh zinc plating in the home shop plating bath.
I left the inner primary in situ when I removed the motor. It worked OK but did make the engine left rear bolt awkward to tighten.
The primary chain is Diamond brand and was in very good condition. Now that the primary oiler has a proper screw to regulate flow, I need to keep close watch to ensure it's adequately lubricated.

No comments:

Post a Comment